Sunday, November 13, 2016

Get to Know the Blogger! My Favorite Experience!

My Trip to Madison Square Garden
                I had been waiting for this day since the mailman delivered the UPS cardboard package containing our tickets over a month before.  I spent most days after school observing every detail of the intricate piece of paper that would serve as my pass into the “Most world’s most famous arena”.  I had our seat numbers memorized and I was amazed by the detail of the photograph of my favorite player, Mike Richter, which served as the background. 
Now it was game day and I sat in anticipatory silence with my parents and brother who seemed more relaxed as the automated calming male voice on the Long Island Railroad called out “This is the train to Penn Station, the next station is Hicksville”.  All four of us were dressed head to toe in in red white and blue as the train jetted past Long Island main streets.  The anxious excitement in my belly grew with every passenger that boarded with a jersey, hat, or t-shirt that supported my favorite team.  I began to really get a feeling that I was about to be part of something  bigger and more thrilling than any experience I had ever been a part of before.

We exited the train and I caught a whiff of Penn Station for the first time.  Any description of this scent cannot do justice to the peculiar odor.  It was a mixture of pizza, Mexican-cuisine, alcohol, the cologne of businessmen, and a few not-so-pleasant mystery aromas that combined to create the “city smell” that I have grown to love.  As we walked, I was holding my father’s hand and Dan was holding my mother’s.  We made it through the maze of people, stairways, and Auntie-Anne’s pretzel vendors until we came heard the music playing in the arena and felt the cold from the ice.  Finally, my family and I entered the arena to see streaks of blue and white zipping around the ice. I stared in amazement as my eyes fell on number 99.  

Key Vocabulary
Contain (verb)- to have or hold something.
Observe (verb)- to see.
Memorize (verb)- to learn something so well that you can remember it perfectly.
Anticipatory (adjective)- describing a feeling of excitement.
Peculiar (adjective)- strange or different.
Aroma (noun)- a smell.

Vocabulary Exercise:
Synonyms:
Give a synonym (similar word) for each vocabulary word
1. contain:  _______________________
2. observe: ________________________
3. memorize: ________________________
4. anticipatory:________________________
5. peculiar: ________________________
6. aroma: ________________________



Grammar Point: An adverb is a word that is used to modify an adjective, verb, other adverb, or word group.  

Grammar Exercise: Write a paragraph about your own favorite experience and then go back and identify all of the adverbs that you used. (If you didn't use any... ADD SOME!)

1 comment:

  1. Hockey is a really exciting sport. I am glad that it left such a happy impression on you. You have a good seletion of vocabulary words, and I like your grammar point, but you could strengthen it with exmples of adverbs from your entry.

    ReplyDelete